Saturday, July 31, 2010

First Friday

When I first met my husband, I was very unsure about his commitment to Friday night Shabbat dinners. The idea of spending every Friday night with prayer and dinner was not something that I was interested in. I held off attending Friday night dinner with him and his group of friends for as long as I could. Eventually, I gave in. And now, a year and a half later, I am so glad I did.

We have an amazing group of friends in the area. Spending Friday night with them is a privilege. I've learned the prayers don't last too long (and are more fun as I learn them), the dinner is always delicious, and the company is better than I could have imagined. At this point, not celebrating Shabbat feels like the weird thing to do.

Yesterday, Josh and I had a small group of friends over to host our first Friday night dinner in our new house. As always, I was running home work late, rushing to get back in time to help. And, of course, when I walked in the door, Josh was already elbow deep in a meal that smelled so good. It took all of my will power not to start snacking as soon I hit the kitchen.

Our friends arrived and the night was perfect. After a hectic week, there is nothing like relaxing with a glass of wine, good food, and great friends. It is exactly what I needed. To make the night even more special, our friends' two children calmed our nerves. We are obsessed LOVE our new house. It is more than we ever dreamed of. But we have been a little worried that when we have a family, there won't be enough room for everyone to run around and be silly (something Josh and I both feel is a must). Well last night, those kids ran themselves silly going from room to room in circles. They even put on an adorable performance. It was just what the doctor ordered.

Last night was therapeutic. And perfect. I now understand why Shabbat was so important to my husband and am grateful that I dove in head first. I hope every friday night in our home is as special as last night was.

1 comment:

  1. Glad we could be a part of your first Friday night in your new home. We had a great time too and your place is fabulous! You should feel very proud of it. :)
    Aliza, Mike, Shira and Sam

    ReplyDelete