Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Top Ten

With summer upon us, it is time to dust off my pile of books, sun screen, running shorts, and sun dresses. I love summer. There is so much to do and when the sun is shinning, the world is filled with promise. Nights seem longer, weekends stretch on for what feels like an eternity, and having fun is always top of mind. Sure the carefree summers of camp have come and gone, but as an adult, summer can be a blast.

While I try to make sure I pack as much into the summer as possible, often I wind up doing the same things over and over. But you know what? When your old trusty activities are fun, why not keep doing them?

I thought it would be fun compile my 10 favorite every day summer activities. Of course I love going on vacation, going to the beach, and picnics in the park, but those activities don't happen every day. These are the things that I can do at a moment's notice, that make me smile. They are also the things that may seem ordinary in the winter, but in the summer they are just as glamorous to me as a weekend getaway. Well, sort of.

And without further ado, here are the Top Ten things that Josh and I love to do in the summer (if summer ever comes!)
  1. Grill: Sure Josh grills all year long. In fact, the colder and snowier it is, the more likely he is to want to BBQ. But there is something about the summer that makes grilling so much more fun. We almost exclusively use it to make our dinner and have been known to have a big blow out BBQ or two.
  2. So You Think You Can Dance: SYTYCD is hands down the best dance show/reality show on TV. You will not find better dancing anywhere else on TV and the live show is out of this world.
  3. Movies: This is more for Josh than me. In the summer he likes nothing more than to escape the heat in a nice cold movie theater. He even has a friend who I exclusively call his movie buddy since they would watch every shoot-em-up comic movie ever made everyday if they could.
  4. Books: This one is more for me than Josh. There is nothing I love more than reading books over the summer. Maybe it stems from years and years of summer reading lists, maybe I'm just a huge nerd, but either way I love to read. I love a good beach read as much as an intelligent autobiography, and everything in between. So far this summer spring I've read: Hoda by Hoda Kotb, Best Friends by Jennifer Weiner, a significant chunk of Decision Points by George W. Bush, and 1 very special book that will get its own post later this summer.
  5. Constitutionals: Josh and I both love a good constitutional after dinner. It is fun to end the night with a nice walk around the block. It also helps with digestion and sleeping. We take constitutionals a lot, even when it is cold outside. But in the summer they are so much better. Usually the heat of the day has broken and it is cool outside. If you time it right, you can even miss all of the bugs.
  6. Softball: I threw this on this list tentatively. While I don't particularly love playing softball (Josh does) I do love our team. Every weekend in the spring and summer we are guaranteed to see 15 of our friends for a few hours on the field and then at dinner. It doesn't get much better than that!
  7. Maine: My Maine loving husband just can't get enough. Old Orchard Beach, 10 Apple Farm, the lake, it's his heaven. It did not take much convincing to get me to love it too. Anytime I can go to the beach and see the farm at the same time I'm happy. Oh and did I mention outlet shopping and caramel popcorn? 
  8. Ice Cream: Ice cream is the perfect treat any time of year, but in the summer it is just so much better. Cabots and JP Licks, 'nough said.
  9. Boston: Everything in Boston is better over the summer. Thanks to the millions of students who move out every May coinciding with prime vacation time, hanging out in town is so much more fun. You can park on the street, take the T without anyone invading your personal space, and get reservations at the hottest restaurants in town. Add in some museum time, general exploring, and hanging out on the esplanade and you have the perfect day.
  10. Urban Hikes: This is hands down Josh's and my favorite thing to do in the summer. We may not live near mountains, but we can still hike! We load up his hiking backpack full of water and a picnic and take off. Generally we start at the Brookline end of the Charles and walk all the way down to the Common and back. We may look a little silly with a hiking backpack in the city, but we have a ton of fun getting exercise and checking out the sights. It is the perfect way to spend a Sunday.
What is you favorite summer activity? Is there anything that you do regularly that just seems more glamorous in the summer? Or in the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment