Friday, October 8, 2010

Big Changes

Ok. You have waited long enough. Here is the big news....drum roll please......................

I have a new job!

I am very excited about this new endeavor. While I will still be working in communications and in an issue specific area, I will be working in a different field. I have built my career in politics, strategically taking new jobs and working on campaigns to create a well rounded and balanced resume. After much thought and a few pro/con lists, a la Rory Gilmore, I have decided to make the jump to higher ed. It was a tough decision but one that I am confident is the right one for me. I know that working in higher ed fits my personality and can help me achieve my larger career and personal goals. I can't wait to get started.

The institution I will be working for has a long history and is one that I have a personal connection to. It will allow me to be creative in new ways and to explore my interests in an academic setting. It will also mean a huge change of pace, new challenges, and a very rewarding future. This change has been something I have been thinking about and talking about for a long time. I am so excited to be taking this leap of faith...and to have the full support of Josh and my family. It seems only fitting to add this life change to the list of many others I have had this year. 

Another big change that comes along with this position is how I get to work. For years I have taken public transportation into the city. Now, I will drive to work. And so, today is my last day commuting to Boston. Gone are my train rides and T experiences. No longer will I be attacked by strangers' umbrellas. Never again will I deal with the many personalities and grumpy people on public transportation. And this makes me very happy. Sure I will miss some of the perks about working downtown. I will not have a plethora of people and events related to commuting to comment on for posts...but new and different things will happen on my way to and from and at my new job to notice. I also won't be able to meet many of my friends who work downtown for lunch or drinks after work...but that is what weekends are for. I honestly feel that this step is a positive change and one that naturally fits into where I am and where I want to be. 

Mostly, I just can't wait to get started. I feel like next week is my first week of school. And in a way, it is. I may not have picked out a new backpack and pens, but I am ready for a fresh start. Academia, here I come!

2 comments: