Monday, October 4, 2010

Music Makes the World Go Round

As I've mentioned many times, Friday nights are special nights in our house. We generally spend them with friends, sometimes praying and sometimes just chatting. Last Friday night was even more special than usual.

Some of our friends are a part of a minyan that features a guitar and tons of camp songs. Recently they have invited us along, and last Friday, we were able to host the group. It was really a wonderful night. Whenever we get together with these friends it is always fun. Bring out the guitar and it turns into an even better time. There is something about adding music to really anything that makes it that much more enjoyable.

One of the many reasons I love this minyan so much is the tunes we use and the songs we sing. I grew up at camp and so many of what we sing are songs I know from the Pembroke days. Sharing in them with everyone made Friday memorable. Our friends have been doing this minyan for a long time and their experience shows. Their passion for what they are doing and their commitment to the right balance of reflection and fun is what originally attracted us to the group in the first place. It's clear that they enjoy it and having them share it with us is great. In all honesty, it is the perfect way to end the week.

On top having a yummy dinner and a great service, my friend from college came to visit. She was in town for a baby shower and stayed with us. As I've said before, there is nothing like old friends. Having a whole weekend to catch up, share stories, and realize that all of these years later we still have so much in common was better than I could have imagined. It's funny how life takes you in so many different directions, but, when you least expect it, you are brought back to your roots. I am happy that she was able to not only visit, but to be here to share in the guitar minyan. She and I spent many a night at Hillel in college and were in the same sorority. This weekend brought back many many silly embarrassing funny good memories.

As cheesy as it sounds, at one point during services I took a second to step back to take it all in. It's a pretty powerful thing to be in a room with so many people who mean so much to you participating in a tradition that is close to your heart. After months of running from one thing to next and barely stopping long enough to enjoy each milestone, I'm trying my hardest to slow down a bit and take it all in. I will never get to re-live this time and it's important to experience it. I'm glad I was able to take the time to really observe and live in the moment on Friday. It made the night that much more meaningful. It was as if our house was alive with friendship and spirituality.

And, despite our worry, Ralph didn't even complain about the noise! We were, however, careful not to let the song session go later than 11pm. I am already counting down the days until the next time we can have everyone over for another night to eat, pray, and sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment