Thursday, March 17, 2011

28

Yesterday Josh hijacked the blog and wrote 2 very sweet birthday posts, which I greatly appreciated (sans the baby pictures!) and maybe, just maybe, made me teary. Since I didn't get the chance yesterday, here is what I was going to say.

This birthday was a little bit different for me. As it was coming closer and closer I did not know what to make of it. I was not afraid of turning 29, partially because 29 really isn't all that old and partially because I feel secure in my life and who I am. At the same time I was not thrilled enough at turning 29 to wake up singing my patented birthday song (you better believe I am not making this up). I was somewhere in between.

28 was without a doubt the best year of my life. I have never had a year full of so much change, so much joy, some challenges, and so much accomplishment. In the last 365 days I:
  • wrote and published a master's thesis 
  • received my master's degree in Political Science
  • started a dream job 
  • bought a house
  • got married
  • started my blog
And that's just the big stuff. This was the year that I finally grew into myself. I gained confidence I never knew I had, became secure with my choices and my life's path, and found my way. I gave up, hopefully for good, the emotional roller coaster ride I had been on for ages and became truly and deeply happy. Part of this transformation happened because, despite my best effort, I am growing up and actually letting all of those things that my mother told me sink in. But mostly, it is easier to find yourself when you have a great partner who you know without a shadow of a doubt will be there for you no matter what.

And while I am not sad to be turning 29, I am a bit apprehensive about saying goodbye to 28. It was an amazing year that will be very hard to top. But not impossible. So bring it on 29! Let's see what you've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment