Friday, March 11, 2011

Amazing Meal Part 2

Black Bean Soup

Yesterday I told you about the most delicious Corn and Avocado salad on the planet. The only reason Josh even decided to make that tasty salad was because I was dying to make my friend Rachel's Black Bean Soup.

Rachel made this soup for me a few weeks ago and I have not been able to get it out of my mind since then. Before eating the soup I was not sure if I would like it. Sure, I love baked beans but I didn't know about black beans. I had never really had them. But, like everything that Rachel makes, it was beyond yummy. At one point Josh asked me to stop talking about the soup because I had been raving about it for days. It was that good.

It was a no brainer for me to make Black Bean Soup when we had guests over. I needed to eat it again (I'm addicted!) and I wanted Josh to try it. On top of being super tasty, the soup is really easy to make too! Enjoy.

Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
4 teaspoons of vegetable oil
2 cups of chopped onions
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of chili powder, cayenne, or crushed red pepper
2 cans (15oz each) of vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth too)
2 cans (15oz each) of black beans, drained and rinsed


Optional Garnishes: (highly recommended)
1/4 cup of sour cream
lime slices
corn salsa (we did not use this one)


Directions:
Heat oil over medium-high heat
Add in onions and saute for 5 minutes


Add in garlic, cumin, and chili powder (or cayenne or crushed red pepper)
Cook for one minute


We switched to a large pot since we tripled the recipe. This allowed us to have plenty for everyone to eat and some left overs to freeze. We love leftovers!

Add in the vegetable broth


Finally, add black beans
Bring the whole thing to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes
Turn off heat


When cooled, transfer soup to blender in batches


Puree


Reheat soup before serving


Prep optional garnishes


Black Bean Soup is best when served hot with a dollop of sour cream and a squeeze of lime. Thank you Rachel for sharing your delicious soup with us.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE black bean soup! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Ravienomnoms!

    I've had BB soup both pureed and whole beans. I've always loved the puree version more!

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had always been a little scared of it, but this soup was delicious! I will never shy away again because of this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ravi and @Toby, thanks. trust me, this recipe will not disappoint. The pureeing is what makes the flavor and texture over the top YUM

    ReplyDelete