Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Love/Hate

Another week, another battle with chicken.

Day to day my opinion about chicken and meat in general changes. Some days I hate it so much that the thought of eating makes me feel sick to my stomach. Other days, though few and far between, I actually look forward to eating it. Mostly though, I stay as far away from chicken as possible.

Josh, on the other hand, is a huge fan of chicken and meat. He would eat it every single day if he could...actually, he did eat it every day. I think that is part of where my new aversion to chicken comes from. He is a really good sport though. 9 times out of ten he happily goes along with my new adventures in vegetarianism. But occasionally, usually on Shabat, he just really wants meat. And really, how can I say no? I had to find a way to tolerate chicken.

My biggest issue with chicken isn't so much the flavor as the texture. There is something about the cutting into the chicken, biting into it, and going through the process that bothers me. On the other hand, when Josh cooks, the flavor of the chicken is always delicious. Especially when he makes his own marinade mixtures hours and hours before grilling. The flavor is just so unbelievable that it is almost easy to forget about the texture.

On the nights when Josh is craving chicken it is time for a serious compromise. He takes care of the prep and cooking of the meal. I work on the salad and sides. Then, just before dinner is served, I cut up my chicken (like I'm a little kid!) and put it on my salad.


Somehow when the extremely flavorful chicken is cut up into small pieces and mixed in with salad and some dressing it isn't so bad. In fact, it's almost pretty good. While chicken is still far from being my favorite food, it is nice to know there are ways around my current difficult relationship with Josh's favorite meal.

Compromise is the key to a happy marriage...or so they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment