Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tico Is Tops

Over the weekend Josh and I had a special treat. We had a big kids night out on Saturday in Boston. That almost never happens! Not only did we have a blast out on the town, we got to hang out with some great people. The occasion was a friend of mine's 30th birthday, and we did it up right.

Dinner was at Tico, a to die for tapas restaurant in the Back Bay. It really was one of the best meals we have ever had. I hate that I didn't take any pictures, because not only was the food beyond delicious, but it was beautiful too.

source

Tapas can be a little intimidating, especially when you are sharing with other people and when you keep kosher/don't eat a lot of meat, but this meal worked out great. Everyone's tastes matched pretty well and for a group of people, some who had just met and some who had known each other for years, the sharing went seamlessly. We all started the night with some drinks to toast the occasion. I had a caipirinha. I love these almost as much as I love margaritas... and that is saying a lot! Of course I can't have more than one because boy do they pack one tasty punch.

For the main course we all indulged on tuna tartare, crispy fried manchego cheese, roasted cauliflower with creamy chipotle, mushrooms and cheese quesadilla, and seared tuna. Each dish was more amazing than the one before. And because everything was served on small plates, the dishes kept coming and coming and we were all able to share with everyone. Each one of the 8 of us picked a few of the dishes that sounded good to us and as things came to the table, we all just shared. It worked out better than I could have imagined. We all tried new things and enjoyed our favorites too. Being able to taste so many wonderful flavors was a real treat.

And of course no real meal is complete without dessert. Keeping in the theme of the night, we shared the chocolate gelato-peanut butter mousse over the top of a caramelized banana split and a chocolate tart with leche ice cream.  They were out of this world.

The whole dinner exceeded my wildest expectations. So much so that I think Josh needs to take me back so I can enjoy these delicious dishes again (and maybe this time I'll remember to take pictures to share!).

If you are looking for a great Boston restaurant, you can't go wrong with Tico. The atmosphere, food, and service were impeccable and every single person we went to eat with was in love with their meal. Consider this a true ringing endorsement.

No comments:

Post a Comment