Thursday, April 21, 2011

Passover Plates: Brisket

It is not Passover without brisket. Really it is not any Jewish holiday without brisket. While I have always been a brisket lover, I have never been a brisket maker. Guess I can't say that anymore.

This year, my mom's 'operation teach Samantha how to make a holiday' was a success. I learned a lot from my mom and had a great time hanging out with her in the kitchen. I also got to enjoy a beyond tasty meal at the actual seder and lots of leftovers (my personal favorite).

The 2 main things I learned about making a brisket were: 1) it is all about the sauce and 2) the longer it cooks, the better. There are many ways to make brisket, but this is how my family enjoys it, especially on Passover.

Brisket is all about what you make it in.
The better the sauce, the better the brisket.

The sauce we used was similar to what we make our
Sweet and Sour Meatballs in, only we used Kosher for Passover ingredients.

Thankfully my mom prepped the brisket so I didn't have to.
It was nice and ready to go when I got there.

We threw carrots and celery in the bottom of the pan
for some flavor and color. 

And sauteed a lot of onions.

The brisket went into the pan with the onions to be browned. 

Before going into the oven, the brisket, onions, carrots, and celery
were slathered with the sweet and sour sauce.

The brisket was then cooked for hours and hours and hours.

Then cut, cooled, and cooked again for a few more hours before served.

The flavor of the brisket was fantastic!
Trust me, this picture does not do the brisket justice. 

Thanks mom for teaching me your secrets, and making this delicious brisket for the holiday and enough to enjoy all week.

6 comments:

  1. I know it was delicious! I'll be posting my Passover brisket in the next few days. My 8-year-old nephew made it, with video too!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh @Lori, I can't wait to see it. I bet he did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmm! I'd love this right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks @Leanna, it's pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brisket. Have you ever made it with beer? Is that even kosher?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Veronica, my mom makes it with beer when it isn't Passover and it is sooo good, and so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete