Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Commuter Rail Novice

For the past 4 years, I have had, give or take, the same commute. I am a pro at fighting the crowd on the Green Line, I know to check smarttraveler before I leave the house, and I have a knack for standing in the exact spot where the T door will be.

I am also no longer affected by the cast of characters in Government Center, Faneuil Hall and the Old State House do not excite me any more, and I pretty much just zone out, read a good book, grab a coffee (more on that later), and go to work.  

All of a sudden, I find myself in a new situation...and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I went from a T expert to a Commuter Rail novice, and I'm thrilled. It is not every day that I stop to smell the roses, but in my new surroundings, that is exactly what I am doing.

Being from the area, I am well aware that both the T and Commuter Rail have their pros and cons, but right now, I am loving the Commuter Rail's pros and so happy to not be dealing with the T's cons.

Some of the many reasons I am currently in love with the Commuter Rail are:
  • the seats are a million times more comfortable
  • there is actually a schedule
  • the culture is very different than the T and I am fascinated by it
  • my walk to work is filled with unique characters and interesting new landmarks

Just this morning, while I was heading to get my morning coffee, I saw a mobile post office. I had to look twice to make sure I saw it right. From the front it looked like a mail truck, but from the side, it was all ice cream truck. How fun is that?


Imagine this truck, but as a mail truck. (actual picture coming soon!)

I am sure that after the first rain or snow storm while waiting for a train outside that does not come on time, the novelty will wear off. But for right now, I am loving this commute and can't wait to see what fun surprises are around the next corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment