Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Purple Is Not The New Beige

When we first bought our house, it was purple. Barney purple.



The living room and dining room were painted roughly the shade of Barney. The main hallway and the entire stairwell were a lighter shade of purple, but purple none-the-less. On top of that, the two bathrooms were a light shade of pink, a perfect match for the pale pink tile. Needless to say, when we fell in love with the house, we did not fall in love with the walls.

The first thing to go were the Barney colored walls. We poured over paint samples and finally came up with a nice neutral pallet. Due to our crazy schedule, Josh worked on the house while I did a million other things. I never got a chance to see the paint samples on the walls or see the project progress. One night I met Josh, and his amazingly helpful cousin, at the house to see how they did. The walls were AMAZING! The rooms looked so much nicer and bigger, and we were both happy to be rid of the purple. We were not, however, done with pink.

Between our budget, time restraints, and logistics, we decided to deal with the pink bathrooms. They aren't that bad, and it seemed a lot less pressing to get done than the horrible purple. This past weekend, though, we had had enough. The pink had to go!

After a weekend of hemming and hawing over medium gray ashes and dark gray elephant skin, we finally went with ashes. It matched both bathrooms and was the safe choice. At this point, we were happy with any color that did not belong in my old puffy paint set.

Tonight, for the first time, I came home to a house that did not have any pink and purple on the walls. All I could think was, "Neutral Palettes, I love you."

Don't get me wrong, I'm a girly girl through and through. I LOVE pink and purple. I just prefer to have them on my throw pillows instead of on my walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment