Monday, August 2, 2010

A New Gym Adventure

This morning, when the alarm went off at 5:45am, it was bittersweet.

For the past year, Josh and I have gotten up early 3 days a week and gone to the gym. We have our routine, see the people who are on our same schedule our gym friends, and start our mornings off feeling ready to take on the day ahead. Our gym isn't fancy, but it has everything we need and is very convenient. We are happy and comfortable there, oh and did I mention that I am a creature of habit?

As our big move was growing closer, I kept thinking of ways to say goodbye to the people who are on our same schedule our gym friends. How do you say to the woman who is in the locker room at the same time as you 3 days a week for a year, who you share pleasantries with every morning, but who's name you don't know 'Hi, I just bought a house and I'm moving out of town so you won't see me here anymore. It has been really great saying hi to you every morning,' without sounding a little crazy? You just can't. Or how do you tell the guy you head-nod with every morning, 'Thanks for the morning what's up, I really enjoyed it,' without being creepy? I just don't think there is a way. 

In the end, I wimped out and did not say goodbye. Although I think I took the less awkward approach, I feel kind of bad. The people who are on our same schedule Our gym friends are half of the fun of going to the gym and helped create some pretty memorable interactions. They have also sparked countless hours of conversation and speculation between Josh and I. But, there is a silver lining, we have ACTUAL friends who belong to our gym who we hang out with regularly. We still get to see them!

So this morning started a new gym adventure for us. A few months back, Josh and I went and scoped out the scene. This new location is larger, with better locker rooms, and friendlier staff. As the gym is in our neighborhood, I'm sure we will meet new people who are on our same schedule gym friends quickly. This time, I fully intend on actually introducing myself to these people and hopefully creating a real friendship. Though, the jury is still out on that one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment