Monday, November 15, 2010

Weekend Roundup

This weekend was different than most. Neither Josh nor I had much to do. And, instead of packing a million errands into 2 short days, we took things slow. After experiencing our first stress-free, laid back weekend in what felt like forever, it was clear we needed to do this more often.

Friday night we went over to our friends' house for minyan. This was one of our favorite things to do, especially when the guitar came out. We have been spending Shabbat with these friends more frequently lately, and I still can't get over how much the guitar and passion from everyone in the room made the night so special. As always, dinner was great, and catching up with our friends was even better. To top it all off, an old camp friend of mine was there with her husband. It was so nice to be able to see her. I love friends that you have known forever. There is something about reconnecting, catching up, and chatting with someone who has known you for almost 20 years that is just wonderful. She also shared some stories of us growing up with Josh, which he loved. I can't wait to make plans with her to hang out again. I definitely went to bed on Friday night with a big smile on my face. It was a lovely Shabbat.

Saturday did not turn out the way we had thought it would, but it was great nonetheless. The plan was to get up early, go to the gym, run a few errands, see a movie, and then have dinner to celebrate my Dad's Birthday. While we were able to do almost everything on this list, it was in a very different order.

I wasn't feeling so well when I woke up, so Josh and I ran errands instead of going to the gym. Our morning got away from us and we had to run home to meet a delivery. Our new table pads came for our dinning room table (just in time for Thanksgiving!) Instead of going to the gym on such a nice fall day, Josh and I went on a long walk around our neighborhood. We wound up spending about an hour and a half walking around, looking at the amazing architecture that was right out our front door, and goofing off. Sure, it might not have been the most productive work out, but it was fun!

For dinner we met my parents to celebrate my dad's birthday. We had a yummy dinner at Alta Strada. It was delicious!! And it was fun to see my parents. We have been so busy lately, even though we live nearby, we hadn't seen them in a little while. After dinner, on a whim, we decided to go see The Social Network. We might have been the last people in America to see it, but I'm glad we did. It was really fun, funny, and interesting. Not a bad Saturday at all!

Sunday was a lazy day, but you already heard about that :)

It is weekends like this last one that remind me to slow down and take it easy. I run so much, pack so many different things, and try so hard to stay on top of everything that I often to forget to stop and smell the roses. This weekend was the perfect combination of accomplishing a lot while still taking time to rest and connect with my family. If I keep myself at the pace I've been moving at, there is no doubt I will be wiped out. I love when life's little lessons show their faces and I take the time to pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment