Thursday, December 2, 2010

Welcome Back



I had my 10-year high school reunion this weekend. It was definitely an experience. It was a bit nerve wracking, but I am really glad I went.

The best part for me was seeing so many old friends. While I still talk to a lot of people that I went to high school with, there are a few that I do not get to see often enough. Being able to see so many friends and catching up with them was awesome. 10 years later, we had all changed a lot, and yet, all stayed the same. There was something familiar about everyone and also something just a little different. It was a pretty interesting phenomenon to throw everyone together 10 years after graduation and see what would happen.

I was so lucky to go to a very small high school with some amazing people. Just hearing about the accomplishments of my classmates was impressive and made the night exciting. I graduated with some very smart people who are working on particularly fascinating projects and degrees. I really enjoyed learning more about the people I grew up with.

I also had fun seeing my high school experience through Josh's eyes. He went to a very small private boys school from 4th grade on. While he had a great education as well, it was incredibly different from mine, particularly socially. It was great to be able to introduce him around and watch his reaction to the many interactions and social circles that my high school provided. If he did not work in a high school, I would have said he was in culture shock. He was a good sport throughout the night and was the perfect date...as always!

Best of all, for me, was to hear so many people talking about my blog. I knew how many people were reading Madison Ave Musings daily, but it was cool to put a face with a number. Just knowing that my high school friends, some who I was close with and others I did not spend as much time with, were supportive of me and what I was doing was such an amazing feeling. A few people even came up to me to say that they were loyal readers or they enjoyed the blog. I was blown away. What a humbling and wonderful thing to hear.

Thank you SHS class of 2000 for your support, encouragement, inspiration, and most of all, a super fun night out!

No comments:

Post a Comment