Monday, February 21, 2011

Just Like Riding a Bike

I am extremely into spin class right now. I take between 2-3 classes a week and really just can't get enough of it. I love how challenging it is, how quickly an hour flies by, and how great I feel after. I also can't believe how great cross training has been for my running. Every time I run I am able to run longer, faster, and stronger than the time before. Spinning is great.

While I love this:
source
 I do not love this:
source
I would not say I have a fear of riding bikes per say, but I do enjoy a stationary bike much more than road bike.

Growing up in a small town with many culs-de-sac and without lots of traffic, bike riding was a fun, easy way to get around and get some exercise. I rode bikes with friends, at camp, and with my parents. But, the minute I turned 16 1/2 and got my license I swore I would never ride a bike again. And I didn't, for nearly decade.

When Josh and I got engaged, we went on a vacation to celebrate. It was our first vacation together and we wanted to do everything. We spent many hours planning our trip, reading travel books, and picking things that we wanted to see and experience. Vancouver is a city known for being green, among many other things. High on Josh's must-do list was riding bikes through Stanley Park. I just smiled and hoped he would pick something else to do.

Once we arrived to Vancouver and spent a few days touring the city, I got up my nerve. I finally agreed to join Josh on a bike ride. There had to be a reason why the saying "it's just like riding a bike" was so popular. We rented bikes and started our slow, but steady, tour of Stanley Park. It was early in the morning and in the middle of the week so the park wasn't too crowded. I slowly, but surely, gained confidence...sort of.


At some point Josh, who is an avid biker, has competed in multiple triathlons, and bikes to work in any weather, and I, the biggest weenie on the planet, decided to tackle this biggest bridge known to man.


Ok, it is not the actual biggest bridge known to man, but it sure felt like it. To be fair, Josh offered to turn back many times, but my competitiveness got in the way. I was determined to cross the bridge. After my second panic attack I realized that I was not even halfway across yet. I did manage to get all of the way to the other side without getting hit by a car or falling over and was pretty proud of myself.


Luckily after making it over once, my rational side kicked in and I walked my bike back to the other side of bridge. While it was a cool-ish experience, I have not been back on a bike since. Even just writing this post gives me some anxiety when thinking about how awful that ride was.

I will definitely be sticking to stationary bikes for at least another decade or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment